A House with a History
The Ingersoll birthplace was built in three sections, two of which were moved to the present site. The small gabled wing (pink) was built circa 1800 in Hopeton, a failed settlement two miles west of Dresden. The wing was presumably moved to Dresden by sledge during winter.The lagre, main wing (beige) was built on Charles Street, south and east of here. It was built as a pasonage by members of the congregation that hired John Ingersoll. Volunteer labor and a reliance on used wood (barn beams, etc.) gave this section a most informal construction style.
The rear lean-to (green) was constructed last, after the first two wings had been united on the current site. It housed a well and served as a kitchen area. Note the break in pitch of the roof about two-thirds of the way back on the west side of the house.
Small gabled portion of the house (pink) is oldest. It was moved here from the now vanished village of Hopeton. Main wing (Beige) was built a few hundred feet away and moved to this site. Rear addition (green) was built on site.
This drawing shows the porch configuration as of the Museum's opening in 1993. The present railings and the porch roof on the small gabled portion were added later.
This view of the west side of the house clearly shows where the rear addition was attached. Look for the change in pitch of the roof line about halfway along the rear slope of the roof.